Monday, January 10, 2011

Hell Hath No Fury

Part of the enjoyment I get out of beer are the wide varieties and styles that this drink offers.  However, I am guilty of getting into a rut.  Most beer drinkers have their favorites.  If you read my blog, you are probably guessing that I am a fan of the lighter style IPA's and wheat beers.  It is very easy to go into your local beer store and see that familiar 6 pack and just put in in the cart.  I am going out of my comfort zone today.

While out running errands I decided to stop into the local market to see if there were any new brews that tickled my fancy.  I always stop in the Michigan beer section first.  Michigan produces some awesome beer and the new brewers are popping up like crazy.  While glancing around the cooler the phrase Hell Hath No Fury made me stop.  It was a Bell's product.  Picking up a bottle from the pack I read that this was a Belgian Dubbel style ale, meaning this was going to be some strong stuff.  This ale tops out at 7.7% ABV.  Nothing like a barley wine but some pretty tuff stuff.  I usually don't get into the high alcohol beers because they can really put the hurt on you fast and often have a strong alcohol flavor to them.  If I am looking to taste the alcohol, I will kick back a shot or two of Jack.

This is some serious stuff.  Dark as hell!  Usually when you are buying an ale with this description you don't expect this.  However, Bell's has done a great job with HHNF.  Very subtle coffee and chocolate notes but with a clean finish.  It has a lot of a porter/stout smell and look but Bell's has done a great job with finishing this beer off clean-almost oily.  I don't get a lot of lingering flavors after a drink.  For a man that loves the lighter fare, I can see myself drinking this on occasion.  It's different, it warms you, it feels like a meal-or at least part of one.  I see this as a great after dinner beer.  Finish off your supper with one of these and I don't think you'll be disappointed.  It's got the warming feel of a port wine or a brandy but doesn't linger too long.

This is not a beer that you will enjoy in long bouts of drinking.  Too heavy, too much alcohol, too much too much!  This is a great brew to order with a dinner out.  Order a cheese plate for dessert with this beer and you will be a happy man.  You will definitely want something rich with this beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment